Sunday, January 11, 2009

Welcome to the Sound of Musicals

A new year brings new resolutions, and of course, a new blog to document them. This year I have decided not to bother with the typical resolutions of exercising more, eating better, not buying anything made in China. This year I am resolving to do something that I can actually accomplish: watch more musicals.

I grew up listening to and watching musicals. My parents had all the albums of the classic mid-20th century musicals, from Oklahoma! to The Man of La Mancha. I had learned the words to all the songs at an early age and have fond memories of recreating scenes from The Sound of Music and West Side Story with my best friend. Sixteen going on seventeen seemed impossibly old! Of course, I loved movie musicals, too, and never missed a chance to see Singin' in the Rain, On the Town, or Thoroughly Modern Millie. And nothing can beat seeing a live performance, be it my high school's production of Carousel or the Broadway revival of Guys and Dolls with Nathan Lane (both of which I've seen).

I loved musicals so much that when my sister was born, I suggested she be named Maria for two of my favorite musical heroines (actually Bloody Mary was my first suggestion, but was rejected). Although I've never stopped watching or listening to musicals, I certainly haven't seen as many in recent years. So on New Year's Eve when I happened upon the That's Entertainment movies on TCM, I was reminded of just how much I enjoy musicals and my resolution to watch more - hopefully one a week - was born. I realize there are still many movie musicals I've never seen and many I haven't seen in quite a few years. So I'll use this blog to document my efforts. As a special treat, my sister Maria, noted pop-culture blogger of Curly Wurly, will also be posting her impressions of musicals she sees this year, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment