Friday, January 1, 2010

Hairspray (2007)

I saw the 2007 version of Hairspray last month, but I've hesitated doing a post about it for a couple reasons. First, I never saw the original 1988 John Water's movie, so I don't know how this compares. Second, I dozed off during the movie. I thought it was just for a few minutes, but now looking at YouTube, I see whole songs that are unfamiliar to me. Oh well. Maybe I'll see the next remake in 20 years.

Hairspray belongs to a growing list of musicals that started off as a movie, got turned into a Broadway show, and then back to a movie. Well, the only other musical I can think of right now that falls into that category is The Producers, but I have a feeling Legally Blonde: The Musical, Thoroughly Modern Millie, and Spamalot can't be far behind.

This was a pleasant-enough movie with some surprisingly deep themes. I liked the part I saw, but didn't find any of the songs very memorable. I actually enjoyed the sets and costumes best, especially the joke shop which I knew about from one of my favorite blogs, Secret Fun Spot.

Here is a peppy clip of a song called "Ladies' Choice" as a sample:

Courtesy of XxMusicalLyricsxX on YouTube

It features Zac Efron, who I understand is a teen heartthrob. He's no Shaun Cassidy, but he's not bad. There was one other aspect of this movie that I especially like: more movies, especially musicals, should have a short, chubby brunette as the heroine.

No comments:

Post a Comment