Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Producers (2005)

The first musical of 2010 was the 2005 film version of Mel Brooks' The Producers. This is one instance of a movie turned Broadway show turned movie that I heartily approve of! I saw the original 1968 movie a very long time ago, and I remember actually being disappointed by it. Perhaps it was just that my expectations were so high, but aside from the "Springtime for Hitler" play within the movie, I don't remember it being terribly funny.

The new musical version is a vast improvement. Not only is it extremely amusing, but it also has great singing and dancing to boot.

I was already familiar with the songs from the original Broadway soundtrack, but seeing the production was a real treat. Most of the cast reprised their original Broadway roles, including Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick. Some notable additions to the cast were Will Ferrell (good) and Uma Thurman (bad). In fact, I'd have to say the only thing about this movie I didn't like was Uma Thurman. I've never been a fan of hers, and this performance didn't change my opinion.

There seems to be dearth of available clips on YouTube, but here's one of "Springtime for Hitler" featuring a very Aryan John Barrowman:

Courtesy of clarityisback on YouTube

I won't say that this movie will become a classic up there with The Sound of Music (my favorite Nazi-themed musical), but it's definitely enjoyable and worth watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment